• Financial Aid Banner

    Montgomery GI Bill, Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)

    Administered by the Federal Government, Office of Veterans Affairs

    What is it?
    The Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as, the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Typically, your eligibility ends when you leave the Selected Reserves. If you stay in the Selected Reserves, benefits generally end ten (10) years from the date you become eligible, if you became eligible before 10/01/92. If you became eligible on or after 10/01/92, your benefits end after 14 years.

    To qualify:
    You signed a six-year contract to serve in the Selected Reserve after 6/30/1985.
    You completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT).
    You got your High School Diploma or GED before you completed your IADT.
    You are in good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit.
    To apply:
    A student who HAS NOT used benefits before may apply one of two ways:
    Online at the VA website noted below. Once you receive your letter of eligibility, bring in a copy to the Financial Aid office in order to certify your enrollment.
    Come into our office and fill out the Application for Education Benefits,VA Form 22-1990 so that we may certify your enrollment via USPS mail.
    A student who HAS used benefits before may apply:
    In person, by completing the application Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995.
    Also required:
    You will need to supply a copy of your NOBE (DD2384 or 2384-1) and, if applicable, a copy of your DD214 Member 4.
    Complete the Military Benefits Data Form and return it to the Financial Aid office.
       • You are also granted credit through this specialized General Petition for two courses, HTH 104 and PED 100 for completing Basic Training.

    Now what?
    Once all the paperwork has been reviewed by our office and your status as a student in good standing* has been confirmed, we will certify your classes. Payments will be sent directly to you. It is up to you to confirm your enrollment, monthly, through the VA website when appropriate.

    For more information: www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

    * In order to be eligible to receive benefits a student must:
    Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
    Complete 67% of all credits attempted with a grade of C or higher (Grades of W count against your average, will be reported to the appropriate VA agency, and may result in an overpayment of benefits for which the student, alone, will be responsible to repay).
    Have completed a formal academic evaluation of all previous college credit towards the degree which they are pursuing at Triton College, within two semesters of attendance

    Information as of 06/2012