• Financial Aid Banner

    Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

    Administered by the Federal Government, Office of Veterans Affairs

    What is it?
    The Original Montgomery GI Bill is an education program that provides up to 36 months of educational benefits to an eligible student. It directly pays the veteran a monthly amount based on eligibility, rate of training and type of training. It expires after 10 years or after the 36 months is used up, whichever comes first.

    To qualify a student must:
       1. Be honorably discharged.
       2. Have had at least 1 year active duty.
       3. Have entered active duty for the first time after 06/30/1985.

    There may be other scenarios which may make you eligible.
    Access this information via the website noted below.

    To apply:
    A student who HAS NOT used benefits before may apply one of two ways:
    Online at the VA website noted below. Once you receive your letter of eligibility, bring in a copy to the Financial Aid office.
    Come into our office and fill out the Application for Education Benefits VA Form 22-1990 so that we may certify your enrollment via USPS mail.
    A student who HAS used benefits before may apply:
    In person, by filling out the application to Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995.
    Also required:
    You will need to supply a copy of your DD214 Member 4.
    Complete the Military Benefits Data Form and return it to the Financial Aid office.
    You are also granted credit through this specialized General Petition for two courses, HTH 104 and PED 100, for completing Basic Training.

    Now what?
    Once all the paperwork has been reviewed by our office and your status as a student in good standing* has been confirmed, we will certify your classes. Payments will be sent directly to you. It is up to you to confirm your enrollment, monthly, through the VA website when appropriate.

    For more information: www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

    * In order to be eligible to receive benefits a student must:
    Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
    Complete 67% of all credits attempted with a grade of C or higher (Grades of W count against your average, will be reported to the appropriate VA agency, and may result in an overpayment of benefits for which the student, alone, will be responsible to repay).
    Have completed a formal academic evaluation of all previous college credit towards the degree which they are pursuing at Triton College, within two semesters of attendance.

    Information as of 06/2012