• Financial Aid Banner

    Montgomery GI Bill, Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

    Administered by the Federal Government, Office of Veterans Affairs

    What is it?
    Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance is an education benefit for eligible spouses and children of certain veterans. Eligible persons can receive up to 45 months of full-time or equivalent benefits. Spouses have 10 years from the date VA established eligibility to use this benefit. Surviving spouses of veterans who died while on active duty have 20 years from the date VA established eligibility to use this benefit. Children may use the benefits while they are between the ages of 18 and 26.

    To qualify:
    To be eligible you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:
    A veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
    A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
    A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
    A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
    A service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient care for a VA determined service-connected permanent and total disability may be eligible for DEA benefits (Effective December 23, 2006).
    To apply:
    A student who HAS NOT used benefits before may apply one of two ways:
    Online at the VA website noted below. Once you receive your letter of eligibility, bring in a copy to the Financial Aid office in order to certify your enrollment.
    Come into our office and fill out the Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, VA Form 22-5490 including a copy of your current schedule so that we may certify your enrollment via USPS mail.
    A student who HAS used benefits before may apply:
    In person, by completing the application: Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-5495.
    Also required:
    Complete the Military Benefits Data Form and return it to the Financial Aid office.

    Now what?
    Once all the paperwork has been reviewed by our office and your status as a student in good standing* has been confirmed, we will certify your classes. Payments will be sent directly to you, the student.

    For more information: www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

    * In order to be eligible to receive benefits a student must:
    Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
    Complete 67% of all credits attempted with a grade of C or higher (Grades of W count against your average, will be reported to the appropriate VA agency, and may result in an overpayment of benefits for which the student, alone, will be responsible to repay).
    Have completed a formal academic evaluation of all previous college credit towards the degree which they are pursuing at Triton College, within two semesters of attendance.

    Information as of 06/2012