English Language Acquistion (ELA, formerly ESL)
English Language Acquistion (ELA) courses are designed to help non-native English speakers develop reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
There are 5 levels of ESL instruction, from very basic to advanced.
Classes are offered in either a 15 week session or 10 week session.
15 week classes meet twice a week for three hours each day. Morning classes are offered on Mondays and Wednesdays and evening classes are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
10 week classes meet twice a week for three hours each day. Morning classes are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays and evening classes are offered on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Morning classes take place from 9:00 AM – 11:50 AM
Evening classes take place from 6:30 PM – 9:20 PM
Classes will meet either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday. Saturday classes are also available.
Free citizenship classes are also offered.
ELA students interested in developing their computer skills may register for a Keyboarding class, available in English, Spanish and Polish. Classes are offered throughout the year.
Interested in improving your writing skills and learning more about academic writing? Ask us about our written communications skills courses for non-native English speakers!
Requirement to Enroll:
- Must be an Illinois Resident
- Must have a Picture ID. Passports are not accepted as a form of ID.
- Must be at least 16 Years Old and not enrolled in High School
Steps to Enroll:
- Come to the Adult Education office located in the A-Building, Room A203
- Fill out intake form with Picture ID
- Sign up for an orientation session, where you will take a placement test and register for your first class. Be prepared to commit approximately 3 hours to the session.
Classes are not intended for individuals on temporary Visas.
For more information please call 708-456-0300, ext. 3259 or 3513.