Servicemembers’ Opportunity College
Triton College is proud to be identified by the American Association of Community Colleges as a Servicemembers’ Opportunity College (SOC) providing educational assistance to active-duty service personnel. An SOC institution offers the following benefits for servicemembers:
- Use of admission procedures that insure access to higher education for academically qualified military personnel;
- Evaluation of learning gained through military experiences, and academic credit awarded, where applicable;
- Evaluation of non-traditional learning and awarding of academic credit for such learning, where applicable;
- Evaluation of requests for inter-institutional transfer of credits and acceptance of such credits where appropriate; and
- Flexibility in satisfying residence requirements by making adjustments for military students who transfer from other college districts.
The college is also a charter member of the Servicemembers’ Opportunity College Associate Degree Program (SOCAD) Network. The network was established by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities at the request of the U.S. Army to better serve Army-enlisted personnel. Triton and other participating colleges in the network offer a flexible degree program in general studies. Military personnel can complete degree requirements by taking courses at other network colleges. For information about the SOCAD program, contact the Office of Veteran Services, (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3531 or 3651.
Policy # 5112.1; last updated: 05/18/93