Financial Aid header


Financial Aid Updates 


MAP Matters to Illinois Students!

For over 50 years, the Monetary Award Program (MAP) has helped make college possible for millions of Illinoisans across the state. MAP matters because it provides need-based aid that a student does not have to repay, defraying tuition and fee costs and limiting excessive loan debt for students without the resources to pay for college.

In FY2013 the Illinois Student Assistance Commission awarded approximately $371 million in MAP grants, helping more than 140,000 students to continue their education. Although MAP is one of the best investments we can make in our citizens, in our economy and in the future of the state, in FY2013 alone, more than 150,000 eligible applicants were not offered MAP due to insufficient funding.

Governor Quinn’s proposed budget includes an increase of $50 million in MAP funding for the 2014-2015 school year. The additional funds would serve at least 15-20,000 more Illinois students, helping them to attend school and achieve a postsecondary credential. In addition, in his State of the State address, the Governor proposed doubling MAP over the next five years—funds that would ultimately help more than 250,000 Illinois students annually.

Until next year’s state budget is final, though, MAP funding is at risk! MAP funding could even be CUT by $50 million in the 2014-2015 school year. That would mean that instead of helping more eligible students, about 20,000 FEWER students would get the funds they need to attend college.

Click here to sign a petition to support additional funds for the Monetary Award Program (MAP).

- See more at:


To be considered enrolled in a course for financial aid purposes, you must be registered in the course before the 50 percent refund period for the class concludes.   

If you enroll in a course beyond the refund period, your financial aid package will not reflect that course. Students may retake courses as often as desired; however, financial aid will only pay for a repeated course once after a course has been successfully completed.

Apply for financial aid for the upcoming school year as soon as possible!    
Based on the continued increase in application volume and the state’s worsening financial condition, the deadline for State MAP Grants was early in March 2013. The FAFSA is located at and students should be sure to enter Triton College’s school code (001773) when asked which colleges they would like their FAFSA information to be sent to. 

In order to better serve our students, the Financial Aid Office has opened a Financial Aid Student Center, located in the reception area of the office. There are computers in a semi-private space for students to complete and submit the FAFSA. If you are interested in utilizing the Student Center, please bring your most recent (2012) tax returns (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ and W-2s) and other necessary documents and the Financial Aid Office staff will assist with any questions you may have as you process your application. Students are encouraged to use the “IRS Data Retrieval” tool when completing the FAFSA. The retrieval tool will save you time and increase the accuracy of your FAFSA information.     

 If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3155 or at . 



Pell Lifetime Limits - Effective with the 2012-2013 school year, eligible students may receive the Federal Pell Grant for a maximum of 12 semesters (or its equivalent). The calculation of the duration of a student’s eligibility will include all years of the student’s receipt of Pell Grant funding. As students are completing FAFSAs for the upcoming school year, the Department of Education is sending out email notices to students advising them if they are nearing or have crossed over the duration threshold. Additionally, as part of the financial aid review process, students will receive a communication from their financial aid advisor at Triton College with this information as it becomes available.