Financial Aid Banner


Federal PELL Grant
A federally funded grant program that is awarded based on federally determined financial need. Must be a degree-seeking undergraduate student. Maximum annual award is two (2) full-time semesters.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
A federally funded program awarded based on exceptional financial need (priority is given to PELL Grant recipients).

State of IL MAP Grant
By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. If you were determined to meet the eligibility criteria for the MAP grant, an award is included on this award letter. This award may be an estimate made by financial aid office and, if so, is identified as a "State of IL MAP Grant (Est)". MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible. Eligibility for a MAP grant is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf. These are called MAP Paid Credit Hours. Payment for each term is made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours.

There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status for your MAP grant eligibility to resume. The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be received is capped at 135. If a State of IL MAP Grant (Est) is not included in your award letter, you are not eligible for the grant at Triton College.

How to Apply

To apply for federal and state grants, including the Pell Grant, Supplemental Equal Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and the Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant you must complete and submit the following to the Triton College Financial Aid Office:
   •  Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on the web
The FAFSA must be completed and submitted to determine the student’s eligibility for federal and state grants, Federal Stafford Loans, and Federal Work Study. Students must apply on the web at Students should be sure to enter Triton College’s school code (001773) when asked which colleges they would like their FAFSA information to be sent to. Students are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA. The retrieval tool will save you time and increase the accuracy of your FAFSA information. If students need assistance completing the FAFSA, they should bring their/their parents’ most recent tax returns (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ, W-2s, and any schedules) and other necessary documents to the Student Financial Aid Center in the Financial Aid Office and a staff member will guide the student through all the steps needed in order to complete the FAFSA.
         • 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA (2016-2017)  
         • IRS Data Retrieval (2016-2017  
   •  Submit an official copy of a high school/GED transcript to the Triton College Admission and Records Office
Students should contact their high school (or where they earned their GED) and request to have a final, official copy of their transcript sent to the Triton College Admission and Records Office.

The Results of the FAFSA are necessary to begin a financial aid file. Once the FAFSA has been reviewed, additional documentation may be requested. Financial aid will not be disbursed without an official copy of a high school/GED transcript.