May 29, 2020
New horticulture certificate prepares students for sustainable greenhouse production careers
Starting this summer, Triton College is offering a new certificate designed to provide students with training to pursue a career in the cannabis industry, urban food products and ornamental, tropical and herbaceous plant production.
The 16-credit hour Greenhouse Grow Operations certificate is designed to help individuals make better crop decisions by learning the underlying horticultural science of plant growth. The program is ideal for individuals interested in obtaining gainful employment in a greenhouse growing operation. The certificate emphasizes greenhouse production and management, along with care, maintenance and identification of plants commonly grown in a greenhouse environment.
This certificate is designed to provide students with a basic understanding and vocational training in those subjects and skills relevant to the growing and production of greenhouse and nursery ornamental plants. Upon completion, students may seek to assist growers and managers in greenhouses or nurseries as part of a plant production team.
Student Learning Outcomes include:
- Make crop decisions by understanding the underlying science and ‘why’ behind plant growth
- Diagnose and correct plant problems caused by nutritional, environmental, and cultural issues
- Know how to monitor crop fertility, scout for pests/disease, and track plant growth
- Understand pros and cons of different growing systems and techniques
- Evaluate and compare different technologies, make informed decisions on technology adoption
- Plan and schedule crops to meet critical market dates
If you are interested in receiving additional information or registering for courses in the Greenhouse Grow Operations program, contact Christoper Clem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 224-805-3382.
Triton College offers more than 150 degree and certificate programs designed to help students gain in-demand skills that will help them succeed in the workforce or transfer to a four-year college or university. Learn more at www.triton.edu.