May 26, 2020
Triton College Offering FREE Infectious Disease Contact Tracing Training
Fight the spread of COVID-19 by training to become an infectious disease contact tracer at Triton College. The three-week, non-credit course is free to Triton College district residents and will be offered online through the School of Continuing Education. The class runs June 4 through June 25. Upon completion of the Triton course, students will be able to conduct contact tracing according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and recommendations.
Contact tracers track the spread of coronavirus and other viruses by working with or consulting patients to discover and document points of contact with others while the patient was contagious. The state of Illinois has developed an $80 million COVID-19 Contact Tracing Program to have 30 contact tracers for every 100,000 residents. The tracing program projects to create over 3,000 jobs in the state with wages ranging from $15 to $27 per hour.
There are five main modules in the three-week course consisting of the following:
- Coronavirus Disease Overview: Define COVID-19, including signs, symptoms, transmission, and how to reduce and prevent the virus.
- Case Investigation: Identify COVID-19 cases and explain the two types of case monitoring. Understand case investigation and monitoring strategies.
- Contact Tracing Protocol: Describe the objectives of contact tracing and identify the four-step tracing process.
- Communication and Interviewing Skills: Define, identify and apply effective communication strategies. Explain the four-step interview process and prepare to interview patients. Learn how to appropriately conduct interviews via telephone, video and in person.
- Legal and Ethical Considerations: Define federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations regarding health information and contact tracing. Explain patient privacy and confidentiality. Discuss proper use, collection and disclosure of health information.
There is limited capacity for the free Infectious Disease Contact Tracing Training Program. This program develops a complementary skill set for those studying or in the health care, public health or public service industries. The training program is not limited to those career fields.
If you are interested in receiving additional information, contact Kay Frey at email@example.com or (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3603.
Triton College offers more than 150 degree and certificate programs designed to help students gain in-demand skills that will help them succeed in the workforce or transfer to a four-year college or university. Learn more at www.triton.edu.