Cernan Earth and Space Center
ALL people attending public planetarium programs
are strongly encouraged to register their COVID information
with CLEARED4 to visit the Cernan Earth and Space Center.
ALL visitors are recommended to wear a mask indoors at all times regardless of vaccination status.
Seating capacity is limited to maintain safe social distancing.
These are important safety measures to protect young people who cannot be vaccinated yet
and any others who might be vulnerable if they are exposed to the virus.
NOTE: Please look at the Google calendar above to confirm the days, dates and times that programs are being presented.
How do I purchase tickets for the Cernan Earth and Space Center Planetarium?
- The box office opens 30 minutes before the first public show on that date. (e.g. 630 pm on Saturdays, 915 am on Wednesdays)
- Avoid the last minute rush. Shows occasionally sell out, and we would hate to have to turn you away. Visitors are strongly encouraged to arrive at least 15-20 minutes before the show you want to attend. This gives you time to browse the Star Store and go before the show. (In other words, use the restroom before entering the planetarium. You will enjoy the show more if you do.)
- Reach the Cernan Earth and Space Center from anywhere in Chicagoland using these directions. There is plenty of free parking.
- Do you have a group of ten or more? Interested in having a birthday party or other event under the stars? Ask us about scheduling a private show for your family or group. Visit our website or call 708-456-0300 X-3372 for details.
- NOTE: We do not have advance ticket sales or online purchasing at this time.
Events and Prices are subject to change.
IMPORTANT: This Web page cannot provide last minute changes to our public show schedule, such as weather-related cancelations.
Please call our Program Line at 708-583-3100 for up-to-the-minute information, particularly if you are coming from a distance to see one or more of our shows.
Even with the minimal public program schedule at this time, the Cernan staff is also busy with other services and projects
- Free Virtual Field Trips: Schools, libraries, and other organizations are invited to schedule a one hour online program on a topic of their choice, free of charge
- Free Live Events Online: Cernan Center staff also plan to host free live events online for the general public. Follow us on Facebook or join our email list for announcements
- Private Planetarium Programs:
For classes and groups meeting in person, Cernan staff are prepared to welcome them into the planetarium on the Triton College campus on a limited basis. There is also the option for families and groups, including birthday parties, to make reservations for private programs in the planetarium. Email us for pricing.
If you cannot join us in the planetarium yet, VISITORS ARE WELCOME to stop by the Space Center Monday thru Friday from 930 a.m. to 430 p.m. to check out the FREE lobby exhibits highlighting Captain ‘Gene’ Cernan’s spaceflight artifacts, how different types of telescopes work, and a nice fossil collection. TAKE HOME a free monthly Abrams sky calendar designed to get you out under the real sky and help friends and family identify planets, bright stars and their constellations. The STAR STORE is also open during those hours so you can pick up astronaut ice cream, an Astronomy magazine, spacey t-shirt or hoodie, mugs, puzzles, jewelry or other amazing merchandise and gifts.
Thank you for your interest in the Cernan Earth and Space Center. We hope to see you online or in-person soon.
For the latest program and schedule information:
Take time to go out and look at the REAL sky.
Welcome to the Star Store, located in the Cernan Earth and Space Center in the I-Building. If you live near or plan to visit the Chicago area, you can visit the Cernan Earth and Space Center and its Star Store gift shop in person. The Star Store offers an assortment of unique gifts. Books, t-shirts, sweatshirts, binoculars, science discovery kits, coffee mugs, posters and unique toys are just a few of the many items for sale. Merchandise from the Star Store can also be ordered by telephone during regular business hours.
The above t-shirts are currently available for purchase in the Star Store.
Don’t have time to shop or want to make the shopping experience easy for everyone?
Order prepackaged Souvenir Bags for your group by calling (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372.
Cernan Center Star Store, Triton College
2000 North Fifth Avenue
River Grove, IL USA 60171
(708) 456-0300, Ext. 3408
Star Store Hours
Monday thru Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
If you have specific questions, please call the Cernan Center's Star Store Manager at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PART TIME PROGRAM PRESENTERS