The Triton College Counseling Department is transitioning to mental health and wellness model. Students can visit with counselors regarding a wide variety of concerns, including managing stress, developing career goals, personal development, and understanding college policies. Counselors may refer students to the appropriate campus and/or community resources to best serve the needs of the student. To get in touch with a counselor, please email or call 708-456-0300, ext. 3588.

If you are seeking guidance on academic planning, class schedules, etc. please contact Academic Advising here.

Contacting a Counselor

Counseling Department

To Top

Academic Success

The Standards of Academic Progress Policy outlines disciplinary actions taken for students completing less than 50 percent of their attempted course load or with a cumulative GPA less than 2.0. The Standards of Academic Progress Policy is available in the current Triton College Catalog.

To Top

Programming and Outreach

Drop in and Chill in our Virtual Living Room

Let’s face it – finals and the end of the semester are stressful. Triton’s Living Room offers a safe and serene atmosphere that will help you relax and unwind in-between studying.

Visit the Living Room to breathe, stretch and meditate away stress, anxiety and tension.

The Living Room is hosted by the Counseling Department and will be accessible virtually:
Monday, May 10 at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 11 at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, May 12 at 12:00 p.m.
Thursday, May 13 at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Friday, May 14 at 12:00 p.m.

Click here to download Virtual Living Room pdf.

Workshops - Virtual Workshops Recordings

Feel Good Friday: Leslie Wester
Preparing for the Stress of Finals Week: Tracy Wright
Managing Finals and Holiday Stress: Leslie Wester
Five Minutes to Stretch Away the Stress: Mary Casey-Incardone
How to Care for Body, Mind and Soul: Sylvia Sztark

To Top

Counseling Courses

The Counseling Department at Triton offers various courses that will help you get started at Triton. All classes can be used as elective credit toward your degree and can be transferred to a four-year college.

CSG 150 - Career and Life Planning

If you have an interest in exploring your career options, sign up for Career and Life Planning. CSG 150 is a one-credit hour, seven-week course. Students complete personality assessments to determine career fields and majors that are most suitable for their personality type. It is available online and in a traditional classroom format. This class may be used as an elective to complete your degree program.

  • Interests
  • Values
  • Skill and ability self-assessment
  • Career information resources
  • Career decision-making
  • One-credit hour toward your degree program

CSG 296 - Special Topics in Counseling

Selected topics in the areas of counseling may vary from semester to semester and information will be available during registration. This course may be repeated a maximum of four times when topics are different. This course can be used as an elective toward graduation.

To Top

Counseling Services

Counseling services are free to students. The following are some of the resources and services the Counseling Department provides to students:

Academic Counseling Services
Counselors may assist you in clarifying your goals and developing an educational plan to reach those goals. Counselors can guide you through a process which brings to light important information you need in making informed decisions and understanding all of your options on the path to goal achievement. Counselors can also assist you in creating a program plan for you to complete your goals at Triton and beyond.

As you proceed through college, your counselor is an ongoing connection to keep you moving forward.

Free Workshops & Events
The counseling department offers an array of workshops & events free of cost for Triton students.

Student Assistance Plan
The Student Assistance Plan (SAP) is a Triton College-sponsored benefit for currently enrolled students. The program is provided in cooperation with the Employee Resource Center (ERC) located in Hillside.

Immediate, private help in dealing with life's problems is available through Triton's Student Assistance Plan. If you would like more information, please contact the SAP directly at (800) 456-6327 or The Username for Triton College Students is: TRI004 and the password is: perspectives. The staff will be happy to assist you!

To Top

Optional Mental Health Disclosure

The Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Act, 110 ILCS 74/1 et seq. requires that institutions of higher learning maintain a policy that provides all students the opportunity to authorize, in writing, the disclosure of certain private mental health information to a designated person. A designated person is defined by this Act as a parent, guardian, or other person over the age of 18 designated by a student to receive disclosure of certain private mental health information. The choice to designate a contact person is at the student’s discretion.

What information will be disclosed?
Under the Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Information Policy, Triton College may disclose a student’s mental health information to the student’s designated person if a physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner who is employed by Triton College makes a determination that the student poses a clear danger to themselves or others. In order to protect students or other person(s) against a clear, imminent risk of serious physical or mental injury, disease or death being inflicted upon themselves or others, Triton College may disclose the student’s mental health information as set forth herein.

The information will be disclosed by the qualified examiner  to the designated person as soon as practical, but in no more than 24 hours after making the mental health determination.

Who is a qualified examiner?
A qualified examiner is defined by 405 ILCS 5/1-122 of the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code Act as a clinical social worker, a registered psychiatric nurse, a licensed clinical professional counselor or a licensed marriage and family therapist.

If you wish to designate a contact person, please  complete the Student Optional Disclosure of Mental Health Information Form. You will need to login to the student portal to complete the disclosure form.

This information will be stored confidentially and securely. only Triton College counselors, the dean of student services, and the dean of enrollment services may access these forms.

This form will remain valid until the student revokes authorization by notifying the college in writing that s/he is withdrawing this authorization. Additionally, students wishing to change the name for the designated contact person may do so by submitting a new Optional Disclosure of Mental Health Information Form.

For more information about this act and disclosure, please contact a Triton College counselor at 708-456-0300, ext. 3588.

To Top


The following are some resources on the Web that you may find useful.

Academic Needs

Mental Health

Personal Issues

To Top