TRIUMPH and SURGE
The TRIUMPH & SURGE Program is a minority retention program, designed to increase the number of minority students completing from Triton College. This initiative provides academic support, one-on-one mentoring and coaching, career exploration and development, community service projects and assistance in transitioning to a four-year institution or into the workforce.
- Help students of color realize and understand their potential and goals despite perceived social and cultural barriers.
- Create a collegial environment that will help to develop a sense of trust and encouragement.
- Retain students of color at Triton College.
- Increase the certificate/ degree completion and/ or transfer rates of student scholars at Triton College.
- Guidance: Aiding students to their purpose and path.
As a result of being in the program the students will be able to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the following skills
- Emotion Management – Students will be able to demonstrate when they need help and seek it, assume responsibility for actions, and appreciate hard moments' purpose in their development.
- Conflict Resolution – Students will be able to demonstrate appreciation of and respect for diverse communities, the ability to understand the consequences of their actions and apply different techniques of resolution.
- Leadership and Personal Development – Activities and workshops provided will help expand the capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles within organizations.
- Time Management – Students will be able to identify best practices in setting up appointments, the importance of punctuality, and the advantage of using time efficiently.
- Financial Literacy – Students will be able to make informed and effective financial decisions through the understanding of their finances.
- Utilizing Resources – Students will be able to engage in critical self-reflection and make choices in their own best interest, gather information from a variety of sources, and make informed choices regarding both their personal and professional lives.
- Goal Setting – Students will be able to understand the importance of goal setting and planning for a successful future.
- Writing/Public Speaking – Students will be able to demonstrate the importance of appropriate speaking and writing styles based on the setting and audience, and recognize communication is essential for impressions.
- Self-Knowledge – Students will be able to create a positive vision of self, engage in opportunities for self-improvement and growth, appreciate and respect individual differences, and exhibit confidence when confronted with new information that is unknown and unexamined.
Participants will have the option and opportunity to be paired with a Mentor for the duration of the program. Program advisors will match students based on goals, lifestyle, personalities, education, and work experience. Mentors will provide support, guidance, and encouragement to participants and scholars of TRIUMPH&SURGE.
- Student Planning: Discussion of academic, career/transfer, and financial plans.
- Service Activities: On and off campus activities.
- Cultural Events
- Enrichment Activities
- College Visits: Local in and out of state visits and presentations
- Conferences: National, Regional and Local
- Company Tours: Industry Tours make a big difference in the career development journey for students by helping them visualize their own futures.
- Financial Literacy/Managing Money
- Workforce and Career Development
- Become mentors to local high school and middle school students (thereby creating a pipeline to Triton College)
- Triton College Minority Student
- Enrolled in a Minimum of 3 College Credit Hours
- Be in good standing with the College
For More Information:
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TRIUMPH & SURGE advisor: Delettre Massey, Room – B240F, ext. 3598
- TRIUMPH & SURGE advisor: Robert Isaac, Room – B240G, ext. 3752
- Director of Student Support Initiatives: Stephanie Townsend, Room – B240C, ext. 3795
Join Triumph and Surge to experience a whole new way of achieving your goals in life. Complete the Triumph and Surge application to signup.
Looking to become a Mentor?
Mentors provide intentional guidance and support at a critical age and point in the educational pathway for TRIUMPH and SURGE scholars. Mentors help construct a pathway to success, helping scholars navigate transitions into school, work, and adulthood. Mentor activities are designed to ensure that mentors are recruited, screened, trained, matched, initiated, monitored, and supported in building productive mentoring relationships with scholars.
We are seeking prospective mentors who are apart of local businesses, community leaders, local officials, local governmental agencies, community organizations, community events, faith organizations, professional associations, fraternal organizations, and other places that prospective mentors may frequent.
Selected mentors will be provided with a New Mentor Orientation as an overview of the TRIUMPH/SURGE program and provides mentors with the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to build effective mentoring relationships. Listed below are some of the traits and responsibilities of a prospective mentor. If you can do the following, we invite you to complete a Mentor application.
- Serve as role model
- Give feedback to the mentee on their goals, situations, plans and ideas
- Create a supportive and trusting environment
- Schedule uninterrupted time with your mentee
- Actively listen and question
- Encourage your mentee by giving positive reinforcement