Resources for Undocumented Students

The Financial Aid office at Triton College seeks to provide support and services to aid its undocumented students in reaching their educational goals. We look forward to serving all Triton students indiscriminately and providing them with resources, links, and informed advising on how they can achieve their degrees in a confidential and respectful environment. Triton College also provides many in-school scholarships that do not require social security or citizenship and encourages all eligible students to apply.

The Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid

Illinois has new Financial Aid options for non-citizens

On June 21, 2019, the Retention of Illinois Students and Equity (RISE) Act was signed into law, with an effective date of January 1, 2020. As described in the enacting legislation, the Act provides that “a student who is an Illinois resident and who is not otherwise eligible for federal financial aid, including, but not limited to, a transgender student who is disqualified for failure to register for selective service or a noncitizen student who has not obtained lawful permanent residence, shall be eligible for state financial aid and benefits…” 

Under the new legislation, students who are unable to apply for a Federal Pell Grant may now apply for the State of Illinois MAP grant through completion of the Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid.  The Alternative Application provides a pathway for state aid only.  The data from the application will be used to calculate an expected family contribution (EFC) and determine students' eligibility for the State of Illinois MAP Grant. 

The Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid, patterned after the FAFSA, was renewed for the 2022-2023 school year on October 1, 2021, through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) website. Pre-screening questions at the beginning of the application will help students determine which application (Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid vs. FAFSA) should be completed. 

Click HERE to apply. For more information, check out the ISAC FAQs.

To Top


To Top

General Information

To Top