Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for Financial Aid, you will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Your completed FAFSA will be used by Triton College to put together your federal student aid package. Your eligibility for federal grants (which don’t have to be repaid) and federal loans (which do) will generally be based on your financial need, as determined by the information you supply on your FAFSA.

7 Steps to Applying for Financial Aid

STEP 1: Gather your documents and information

To file your FAFSA, you'll you will need:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned.
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

NOTE: If you are under the age of 24 you will also need most of the above information for your parents. If you do not have access to your tax information, you can transfer your tax info using the IRS Data Retrieval tool.

STEP 2: Visit the FAFSA Website is the only website you should use to apply for Financial Aid. Never use any website that asks you to pay to apply for aid.

STEP 3: Create your FSA ID

Save your ID! Your FSA ID will give you access to FSA online systems and can serve as your legal signature. You will need the next time you apply for Financial Aid.

STEP 4: Begin your application

NOTE: You will need to enter Triton's school code. The School Code for Triton College is: 001773.

STEP 5: Enter your financial information

Students are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA. The retrieval tool will save you time and increase the accuracy of your FAFSA information. If you need assistance completing the FAFSA, you should bring your documents to the Financial Aid Office and a staff member will guide you through all the steps needed in order to complete your application.

STEP 6: Complete and submit your application

Don't forget to SUBMIT your FAFSA when you're done. Review the confirmation page and check for mistakes.

STEP 7: Submit your transcripts

Students should contact their high school (or where they earned their GED) and request to have a final, official copy of their transcript sent to the Triton College Admission and Records Office.

What Happens Next?

The results of the FAFSA are necessary to begin a financial aid file. Once the FAFSA has been reviewed, additional documentation may be requested. Financial aid will not be disbursed without an official copy of a High School/GED transcript.

After you submit your FAFSA, you’ll get your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the office of Federal Student Aid. Your SAR is a paper or electronic document that gives you basic information about the FAFSA data you submitted, including your answers to the questions on your FAFSA. Your SAR won’t tell you how much financial aid you’ll get. If you provided an email address when you submitted your FAFSA, you can expect to receive your SAR within a few days of electronically filing or within two weeks of mailing.

After you receive your SAR, Triton will contact you via your Triton email account and let you know if additional information is required.  After you submit this information, and once your file is 100 percent complete, Triton will again contact you via your Triton email account. The email you receive will explain how you can view your award letter in your Student Portal.  This award letter will explain how much aid you’re eligible for.


What is Triton's Title IV school code?

Where can I get a copy of the FAFSA?

How can I get a copy of my W-2 Forms?

How can I get a copy of my tax return transcript?

How soon should the FAFSA form be sent in?

Can I submit my financial aid application before Jan. 1?

I sent in my FAFSA over four weeks ago but haven't heard anything. What should I do?

The semester has already begun. Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

My parents will not help me pay for school. Can I file as an “independent”?

What is an EFC and how is it used to determine my eligibility?

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

What should I do if changes occur after I file the FAFSA?