Educational Tax Credit

Tax benefits exist in the form of credits and deductions for those paying for higher education. We encourage students and their families to take advantage of such benefits offered in an effort to reduce the cost burden of college. Please read below and explore the links provided for more information.

Please note: Not all students or expenses are eligible for education tax benefits


An education credit helps with the cost of higher education by reducing the amount of tax owed on a tax return. If the credit reduces the taxes owed to less than zero, students and families may get a tax refund. There are two education credits available: the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Who Can Claim an Education Credit?

There are additional rules for each credit, but those seeking to claim them must meet all three of the following requirements for either credit:

  1. Individual, their dependent or a third-party pays qualified education expenses for higher education.
  2. An eligible student must be enrolled at an eligible educational institution.
  3. The eligible student is the individual, their spouse or a dependent they list on their tax return.

If a student is eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit and also eligible to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit, individuals and families can choose to claim either credit, but not both.

The AOTC may not be claimed if a student was a nonresident alien for any part of the tax year unless they elect to be treated as a resident alien for federal tax purposes. For more information about AOTC and foreign students, visit American Opportunity Tax Credit - Information for Foreign Students.


Deductions reduce the amount of income that is subject to tax, thus generally reducing the amount of tax that must be paid. There are several education deductions available including those related to tuition and fees as well as student loan interest paid. For more information, visit the IRS Tax Benefits for Education Information Center.

1098-T Form

A 1098-T is provided to undergraduate students by the beginning of February provided the student was enrolled at any time in the previous calendar year. Students not part of an undergraduate program, such as Continuing Education or Adult Education, do not receive a 1098-T.

You can electronically secure and access a copy of your Form 1098-T from your portal.

Would you like to view your 1098-T form online and not wait for the mailed copy?

You can electronically secure and access a copy of your 1098-T form from your portal.

Step 1. Login to MyTriton portal and then login to Student Self-Service


Step 2. Select the option Receive my 1098 only in electronic format

1098-T Reminders

  • Is your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on file and correct?
  • Is your address correct?
  • If Triton College does not have your correct Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) we are unable to generate a valid 1098-T Form
  • 1098-T forms for 2023 will be available after January 31, 2024
  • If you do not consent to the online option, your 1098-T forms are mailed to the home address associated with the student's account.

Triton College uses your Social Security number/Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) to file the IRS Form 1098-T. You may need to update your SSN or ITIN if you have not provided it in the past or if Triton College does not have the correct number on file.  

To update your data please click HERE print and complete the W-9S form, provide your SSN or ITIN card (original, copies not acceptable) and photo ID, (Driver’s License or State ID) to the Welcome Desk, located in the B Building.

If you are or were a Triton College employee during the current calendar and require demographic updates, please visit the Human Resources office.

Please act today to ensure a timely release of your 1098-T Form.

Students or those claiming a student as a dependent may be able to claim an education credit on tax form 1040. Education credits may only be claimed for qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid during the tax year for which the return is being filed.

IRS Eligibility for Education Credits

For more information regarding education tax credits, eligibility requirements, and for help calculating the amount of you credit please visit