School and Group Reservations
Prepare for Launch
There are two planetariums in Chicago, and one is conveniently located on the Triton College campus in River Grove. The Cernan Earth and Space Center offers engaging and educational programs designed to immerse visitors in the subject and inspire further exploration.
Astronomy and space exploration are popular topics, but programs also address biodiversity, geology, meteorology, engineering, pharaohs, space aliens, culture, history, and more. This wide range of programs is available to schools, scouts, senior citizens, camps, churches, business groups and audiences of all ages. Group leaders should plan to spend a full hour in the planetarium to allow plenty of time for questions and discussion.
Download the 2019 Group Program Guide HERE or continue reading for all the details.
Download educator support materials from our website
Find curriculum standards related to each program, pre and post activities, vocabulary and useful book and web references. Download and print out an exhibit hunt for your students to complete while they explore the exhibits in the lobby.
Book your visit during the off-season - Get a discount
Book your weekday visit for September, October, January or February and receive $0.50 off the regular admission price. For example, if the normal student rate is $4.00, the off-season charge would be $3.50 per person.
Allow time to shop at the Star Store
The Cernan Center’s Star Store gift shop offers unique items for science enthusiasts of all ages. More than just astronomy and space exploration, dinosaur-lovers, budding geologists, weather watchers, gift-givers and others are sure to find a special something to enhance their interest.
Book two shows for the same day - Get a discount
Reserve two different shows on the same weekday for the same group of students and receive a $1 per person discount for the second show on the same day. For example, if the normal student rate is $4.00, the fee for the second show would be $3.00 per student.
Tour the Triton College campus
Students 6th grade and up are invited to take a short tour of the Triton College campus including the new Health Careers building with its labs and simulators, General Science building and Student Center.
Borrow a telescope – For free!
Teachers of grades 5 through 12 can borrow a telescope for two months of classroom use for FREE. If you are interested in this program, visit us or call the Cernan Center at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3408 for details.
|School Program Admission||
Sep, Oct, Jan & Feb
|In District Schools||
|Out of District Schools||
One supervisory adult admitted free for every ten students.
|Additional adults are admitted at the student rate.|
1. Choose a date: Tuesday through Friday
Groups can also make reservations to attend a regularly scheduled public program or book a private program outside of normal hours.
2. Choose a time slot: 9:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m. or 11:45 a.m.
Other times are available upon request.
3. Choose a program
Visit our site for a complete list of available programs, to see trailers for each program and download educator support materials including curriculum standards, pre and post visit activities and more.
Click HERE for a brochure of programs or HERE for more in-depth program information on our website.
4. Don’t have time to shop?
Or want to make the shopping experience easy for everyone? Order prepackaged Souvenir Bags for your group by calling (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372.
5. Be sure to review the Minimum Fee and Program Cancelation information below
6. Call the Cernan Center Reservationist: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (708) 456-0300 x 3372
After setting the date, time and program, let us know if your group wants to eat in Space Center or outside, take a campus tour, shop in the Star Store or order prepackaged Souvenir Bags.
7. Check Your Confirmation for Accuracy
You will receive a confirmation by email or standard mail.
The minimum fee to schedule a weekday program is a $50. Small groups do not need to pay the minimum fee if they see a show with another group.
If you must cancel your visit, please notify the Cernan Center as soon as possible. Email email@example.com or call (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372.
Groups that fail to arrive for their scheduled program or group leaders who fail to cancel their group reservation two weeks prior to their scheduled visit are responsible for the following cancellation fees:
- 1 to 29 attendees: $20 per canceled time slot.
- 30 or more attendees:$0.75 per reserved seat per canceled time slot.
- Bring your confirmation with you.
- Have an accurate count of students and adults in your group.
- Groups should plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before their scheduled program time.
- Buses should drop off passengers in front of the Cernan Center.
- Buses and cars park in the lot north of the Cernan Center. Refer to the campus map here.
- Making Payment: The Cernan Center accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and checks made payable to Triton College. Payment is due when a group checks in, unless arrangements have been made in advance.
- Complete a program evaluation to tell us how we can improve our programs and services.
- Visit our website
- Call our program information line at (708) 583-3100
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/cernancenter