School and Group Reservations
Prepare for Launch
Located on the Triton College Campus in River Grove, the Cernan Earth and Space Center offers engaging and educational programs which immerse visitors in a wide variety of subjects and provide experiences to inspire further discovery.
Astronomy and space exploration are popular topics, but programs also focus on biodiversity, geology, meteorology, engineering, pharaohs, space aliens, culture, history and more. The diverse range of experiences are available to schools, scouts, senior citizens, camps, churches, business groups and audiences of all ages. Group leaders should plan to spend a full hour in the planetarium to allow plenty of time for questions, discussion and spontaneous exploration.
Download the 2019 Group Program Guide HERE or continue reading for all the details.
Download educator support materials from our website
Find curriculum standards related to each program, pre- and post-visit activities, vocabulary and useful book and web references. Download and print out an exhibit hunt to complete while your group explores the exhibits in the lobby.
Borrow a telescope – For free!
Teachers of grades 5 through 12 can borrow a telescope for two months of classroom use for FREE. If you are interested in this program, visit our site or call the Cernan Center at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372 for details.
Book your visit during the off-season - Get a discount
Book your weekday visit for September, October, January or February and receive $0.50 off the regular admission price. For example, if the normal student rate is $4.00, the off-season charge would be $3.50 per person.
Allow time to shop at the Star Store
Not only do we cater to astronomers and astronauts, the Cernan Earth and Space Center’s Star Store features unique items for dinosaur-lovers, budding geologists, weather watchers, gift givers and science-enthusiasts of all interests and ages. Ask our reservationist about pre-packaged souvenir bags.
Book two shows for the same day - Get a discount
Reserve two different shows on the same weekday for the same group of students and receive a $1 per person discount for the second show on the same day. For example, if the admission price is $4.00, the fee for the second show would be $3.00.
Visit the Space Center in Advance for FREE
Teachers are welcome and encouraged to visit the planetarium and ask questions before booking a reservation. Show your current teacher ID to get one FREE admission to any regularly scheduled public planetarium program.
|School Program Admission||
Sep, Oct, Jan & Feb
|In District Schools||
|Out of District Schools||
One supervisory adult admitted free for every ten students.
|Additional adults are admitted at the student rate.|
1. Choose a program
Visit our site for a complete list of available programs, to see trailers for each program and download educator support materials including curriculum standards, pre- and post-visit activities and more.
Click HERE for a brochure of programs or HERE for more in-depth program information on our website.
2. Choose a date: Tuesday through Thursday
Groups can also make reservations to attend a regularly scheduled public program or book a private program outside of normal hours.
3. Choose a time slot: 9:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m. or 11:45 a.m.
Other times are available upon request.
4. Review the Minimum Charge and Program Cancellation information below.
5. Call the Cernan Center Reservationist: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372
After setting the date, time and program, let us know if your group wants to eat in Cernan Center, take a campus tour, shop in the Star Store or order prepackaged Souvenir Bags.
6. Don’t have time to shop or want to make the shopping experience easy for everyone?
Order prepackaged Souvenir Bags for your group by calling (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372.
7. Check Your Confirmation for Accuracy when you receive it by email.
The minimum fee to schedule a weekday program is a $50. Small groups do not need to pay the minimum fee if they see a show with another group.
If you must cancel your visit, please notify the Cernan Center as soon as possible. Email email@example.com or call (708) 456-0300, Ext. 3372.
Groups that fail to arrive for their scheduled program or group leaders who fail to cancel their group reservation two weeks prior to their scheduled visit are responsible for the following cancellation fees:
- 1 to 29 attendees: $20 per canceled time slot.
- 30 or more attendees:$0.75 per reserved seat per canceled time slot.
- Bring your confirmation with you.
- Have an accurate count of students and adults in your group.
- Groups should plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before their scheduled program time.
- Buses should drop off passengers in front of the Cernan Center.
- Buses and cars park in the lot north of the Cernan Center. Refer to the campus map here.
- Making Payment: The Cernan Center accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and checks made payable to Triton College. Payment is due when a group checks in, unless arrangements have been made in advance.
- Complete a program evaluation to tell us how we can improve our programs and services.
- Visit our website at triton.edu/Cernan
- Call our program information line at (708) 583-3100
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/cernancenter