School of Business and Technology
Computer Information Systems
The Computer Information Systems degrees and certificates are designed to provide students with the skills necessary to obtain a position in the specialties of E-commerce, database3 design, game development and programming, and Linux system management. Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of computer hardware and software.
- Demonstrate basic level of competency in programming and logic skills.
- Utilize web technologies.
- Use productivity software effectively (word processing, spreadsheets, and database software).
- Identify an area of interest through the selection of elective courses.
- Apply the skills that are the focus of this program to business scenarios
- Work effectively in teams.
- Present conclusions effectively, orally and in writing.
Students can also elect to transfer to four-year institutions. Since four-year schools differ greatly in their requirements, students should select courses from the general education requirements and electives list that will best fit the program of the school to which they intend to transfer.
Students interested in transferring to a four-year institution usually choose between information systems or technical computing. Those interested in information systems need a background in mathematics, economic, and accounting in addition to information systems while those interested in technical computing need a strong background in mathematics and computing theory.
Degree graduates in information systems will find employment as programmers, application engineers, systems analysts, operations research, or database management. Degree graduates in technical computing will find employment as programmers or application engineers in scientific and engineering applications, graphics, operating systems.
Upon completion of a bachelor's degree, graduates can find jobs as accountants and auditors working in private industry or the government. The average annual salary of computer and information systems support personnel is $54,000.