If you are good with your hands, detail-oriented, and an excellent leader, then Construction Technology might be for you. Students in this field develop skills in engineering and construction as well as in business. A degree in Construction Technology will prepare you for a career in residential, commercial, industrial, or public-works construction.
Construction Technology combines a hands-on construction program with technical course study. Students will choose hands-on training in trade courses, as well as obtain the engineering and construction skills to plan, organize, solve problems and communicate well in the execution of building projects. Students will develop financial and business knowledge to become a construction technician. Construction Technology allows students to specialize in their area of interest in construction by choosing technical electives from plumbing, carpentry or electricity. Graduates could enter as project coordinators with contractors and engineers, building departments, developers and construction-related fields. The program is also designed to provide student with the skills and coursework necessary to transfer to a four-year college or university if they choose.
Upon completion of this degree, the student will be able to:
- read and understand blueprint drawings
- follow building codes and safety procedures
- draw and analyze construction documents
- learn and apply state codes, laws and building regulations
- understand and use sustainable building products to create eco-friendly buildings
- understand various construction technologies and how they work together to create a building
- estimate small construction projects
- be proficient in the use of computer programs used in the construction industry and hand drafting
- develop critical thinking skills to be successful in the industry
- have the opportunity to advance in their career and continue professional development through four-year transfer programs
Architecture and Construction Technology Coordinator
(708) 456-0300, Ext. 3129